It’s been 4 weeks since the League ended and a couple of weeks since the European Cup final, so we can’t wait until the World Cup kicks off on Thursday.
Aside from a month of football, we’ve been asking whether there are any lessons that business owners can learn from the World Cup. And there are. So, here are our top five:
- Are you a Manager or a Coach? There’s been a change in football management recently – for years the Manager was an autocratic figure, but these days Managers have become coaches, working with team members to identify strengths and fix weaknesses. Pep Guardiola changed the way that Barcelona played as a team, but also coached some of the long-serving players like Carlos Puyol to change the way they played. Locally, Brendan Rodgers and Roberto Martinez are bringing the best out of their players. As a business owner, you need to coach your team members to help get your business to where you want to be.
- Vision and strategy – if you’re going to coach them to get where you want to be, you need to know where that is! Football managers might have a style of play, but you’ll have a way of doing things in your business. And a goal for the business as a whole. If you don’t have these, where are you headed?
- It’s no good complaining – There will always be bad refereeing decision, but you can’t change them. You just need to get on with it. It’s the same in business – you can moan about things that are outside your control (the government, the economy, your competitors, etc) but you need to take full responsibility for your business. Everyone has some doses of bad luck. It’s how you deal with it that decides whether you’re successful or not.
- It’s not over until it’s over – Perseverance is key for footballers and business owners. We were in Istanbul to see Liverpool come from 3 goals down to win the European Cup. A few weeks ago, Real Madrid were losing the final until the 93rd minute but ended up winning their 10th European Cup. It will be the same in the World Cup – you can’t give in if you want your team, or your business, to be successful.
- It’s the final result that matters – You probably remember who won the last World Cup – Spain. But do you remember how they got on in their first game? They lost to Switzerland. We all make mistakes in our businesses on the way, but it’s how we react and learn from these that will lead to the end result. And it’s the end result that matters.
So, in between scouring the shelves at Tesco for a beer to represent each country, trying to fill our Panini World Cup sticker albums, and actually watching the matches, we’ll also be looking out for more business lessons in the World Cup.
If you have any of your own, please let us know.
If you would like to arrange a free meeting with a Liverpool accountant to discuss business strategy, either at our office or at your premises, please contact us on 0151 724 3960 or by email at [email protected].
Alternatively, you can use our website contact form.
For tax tips and ideas to boost your profits, please sign up for our email updates.
Added by Jon Davies