Last week, I was lucky enough to attend the first ever National Entrepreneurs Convention at the ICC in Birmingham. Over 1,300 fellow entrepreneurs were there to learn how to make their businesses super successful.
The event was organised by Nigel Botterill’s Entrepreneur’s Circle and everyone came away with loads of ideas to implement in their businesses straight away.
Over the two days, there were sessions covering everything from Facebook ads to Direct Mailshots, Time Management to Joint Ventures, and Social Media to Writing Your Own Business Book (Nige showed us how he’s written a 150 page in a couple of hours!).
So, what were my top tips?
- You need absolute clarity in everything you do – plans, numbers, etc. If you don’t know exactly where you are and where you’re going, you’ll never get there. And focus on the things that matter – if it doesn’t get you where you want to be, ditch it.
- “It’s all about relationships” – given the chance, customers always buy from people they like. So, build relationships! This was a recurring theme – you can do this face-to-face, by phone, email, email newsletter, printed newsletter, etc, etc. The key is to do it!
- Speed attracts people, speed attracts money, speed attracts everything! The quicker you can do stuff, and the quicker you can turn an idea into something real, the quicker you’ll be super successful. It also helps with relationships – nobody says “I really want to hand round with that slow person”.
- You must have premium products – 20% of your customers will spend more with you on a “premium” version of your product….if you give them the chance. If you don’t have a product with “extras”, or an option to pay more for a quicker service, create one.
- You need your marketing to be really, really tightly targeted. Don’t waste time pitching to “everyone”. Facebook Ads was a great example of doing this online – you can get your ads in front of specific people based on exact profiles (age, sex, location, “likes”, etc).
- Chris Hoy, the guest speaker, was inspired to ride his bike (fast!) by watching ET. All those gold medals, and he still can’t make his bike fly, though.
All in all, it was a great event. You can watch a video here and also get a chance to book for next year!
If you would like to arrange a free meeting with a Liverpool accountant to discuss business advice, either at our office or at your premises, please contact us on 0151 380 3800 or by email at [email protected].
Alternatively, you can use our website contact form.
For tax tips and ideas to boost your profits, please sign up for our email updates.
Added by Jon Davies